ArtsEd Opens Submissions for Award -Winning Original Screenplay Project
Open Submissions for BA Acting Screenplays!
Each year, ArtsEd holds open submissions for original screenplays to be performed by graduating BA Actors, and we are delighted to invite writers to submit their scripts for the fifth season!
Launched in 2014, the Original Screenplay Project has gone from strength to strength, with a limited number of films from the project submitted to film festivals. In 2016, the film Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang by Paul Houghton won Best Comedy at the Crystal Palace International Film Festival, and in 2018 we were thrilled to win the Best Student Project award at the London Short Film Fest for Caroline Jeffries’ Heads or Tails.
How does it work?
Shortlisted scripts will be read in a workshop setting and once the final scripts have been selected, writers may be required to develop or adapt their work. They will subsequently be filmed in March 2020, by a professional director and director of photography, supported by a full student crew. Each film will then be edited to broadcast standard and screened before an industry audience.
Each script should combine a clear, narrative arc with a degree of dramatic action and must also fulfil the following criteria:
- Be of 10-12 minutes duration
- Be suitable for filming on a limited budget
- Require a maximum of 3 simple locations and not involve difficult technical set ups i.e.: long driving scenes, period settings etc.
- Tackle contemporary subject matter, both comedy and drama and be set in the last decade
- Be suitable for a cast who are in their twenties, with a minimum of 3 to 6 strong roles
- Avoid any extreme violence or explicit sexual content
- Require a limited number of older cast or none at all ideally
All writers will be fully credited for their work, retain copyright of the script and receive a link to the film. Cast and crew are mostly students but any additional crew, directors and writers will receive a small remuneration to be confirmed by ArtsEd.
We will acknowledge receipt of submissions but regrettably, due to the volume of submissions we are unable to provide individual feedback. Final scripts will be chosen by September 2019.
To submit a script for our consideration, please email a copy in PDF or Word format to email@example.com and remember to include your name, contact details, and script title on the front page, together with a brief synopsis and character breakdown.
Deadline for submissions is Monday 20th May 2019